With field size an issue as winter turns to spring, two racetracks located about 45 minutes apart are reinforcing policies designed to keep horses on the grounds.
An unusually large number of stall applications has led Canterbury Park to open its barn area seven days earlier than planned.
Stall applications for the upcoming 2003-04 Tampa Bay Downs' meeting have soared to 2,855, 25% higher than last year's applications for the track's 1,378 available stalls. The 93-day meet opens Dec. 13 and runs through May 2, 2004.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken to Miss Tampa Bay Derby With Ankle Strain
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 28, 2017
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Favorable Reviews of Fasig-Tipton Under Tack Show
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Agree to Deal to Keep Track Open
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Honorable Duty Latest Big Winner for Walsh
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death