George E. Chase, Sr., one of the founders of the Atlanta Steeplechase, died Sept. 16 of congestive heart failure in Gordonsville, Va., where he moved in 2010. He was 87 years old.
Leo Azpurua Sr.'s 3-year-old Manicero, a winner of four consecutive starts, appears likely to try and run his streak to five this weekend in the $150,000, seven-furlong Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park.
The first foal by grade I winner Monba was born Feb. 15 at Michael Jester's Penn Ridge Farms near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Xtra Heat was extra special in the $150,000 Endine Stakes (gr. III) at Delaware Park Saturday.
Xtra Heat and Willa On The Move each worked a half-mile at Laurel Park Monday morning in preparation for 'Summit of Speed' stakes at Calder Race Course on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Belterra to Honor the late Harry Holcomb