Millionaire 4-year-old filly Evening Jewel, facing possible retirement just last month, will carry high weight of 122 pounds and likely favoritism in the $150,000 Buena Vista Handicap (gr. IIT) Feb. 21 at Santa Anita.
See the races from the first weekend of 2011. View Slideshow
Spring Style's wait for her first stakes victory ended in her 6-year-old debut Jan. 1 when she held off Harmonious by a nose to win the $147,000 Robert J. Frankel Stakes (gr. IIT) on the turf at Santa Anita.
When Santa Anita officials were scouting about for a stakes event to name after the late Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, they could hardly have found a better fit than the San Gorgonio Handicap.
Shippers Wasted Tears, on a six-race winning tear, and Gozzip Girl, making her first appearance in Southern California since winning last year's American Oaks (gr. IT), head the field for the $250,000 John C. Mabee Stakes.
In what could be her final start in California, the great Zenyatta remained undefeated with her 18th consecutive win in rather routine fashion by a neck in the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 7 at Del Mar.
Undefeated champion Zenyatta is expected to seek her 18th victory against no losses after being entered in the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes (gr. I) at Del Mar Aug. 7. But trainer John Shirreffs isn't sure yet.
Even though defending champion Tuscan Evening is awaiting a stakes date at Arlington Park, trainer Jerry Hollendorfer has a chance to win the $150,000 Royal Heroine Mile (gr. IIT) for a second year in a row July 3.
After her dominating win in the El Encino Stakes (gr. II) in January, Life Is Sweet stands out among nine 4-year-old fillies entered for the $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park Feb. 15.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- A Few Early Thoughts on the Kentucky Derby Pace