Harlan C. Abbey, who had a long career as a local sportswriter, newspaper editor, author, and avid horseman, died Sept. 8 at his home in Clarence, N.Y. He was 84.
Graded stakes winner Maybry's Boy, a son of Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) winner Broad Brush, is relocating from New York to E.A. Ranches in Ramona, Calif.
Favorites swept the New York Stallion Series stakes Nov. 14 at Aqueduct as Sportswriter took the $100,000 Thunder Rumble and Sunny Desert overcame a troubled start to win the $100,000 Staten Island for fillies and mares.
Sportswriter will try to win his first NYSS on the dirt when he competes in the $100,000 Thunder Rumble at Aqueduct Racetrack, while Sunny Desert heads the $100,000 Staten Island for females Nov. 14.
Grade III winner Maybry's Boy came through with his initial winner when his son Sportswriter scored at Saratoga Aug. 5 in his first start.
- By Vic Zast
Attendance, handle and Marylou again highlight the third Friday. read blog
Maybry's Boy, victor of the 2002 Spectacular Bid Stakes (gr. III), came through with his first winner when his son Sportswriter scored at Saratoga in his career debut Aug. 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Tumblebrutus Gets 25th Black-Type Winner
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate