Every day seems to bring a new Belmont Stakes (gr. I) pick. What else is new? This year's Belmont is that kind of race. There is no standout, and the majority of the horses entered seem to have a legitimate shot to win.
Ice Box, runner-up in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), drew post position 6 and was installed as the 3-1 morning favorite when a dozen horses were entered for the June 5, $1 million Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
In the latest developments for the June 5 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), Spangled Star has been added to the field for the 1 1/2-mile classic while New Madrid has been withdrawn from consideration.
Robert LaPenta Jr.'s Ice Box, the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) runner-up and probable morning-line favorite for the upcoming Belmont Stakes (gr. I), turned in a four-furlong work at Saratoga May 19.
Afleet Again took advantage of a blistering pace and collared the leaders in deep stretch to pull a 24-1 upset in the $150,000 Withers Stakes (gr. III) April 24 at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Borell Arraignment Set for Aug. 1
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- Connect Leads 1-2 Finish for Brown in Curlin
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa