Every day seems to bring a new Belmont Stakes (gr. I) pick. What else is new? This year's Belmont is that kind of race. There is no standout, and the majority of the horses entered seem to have a legitimate shot to win.
Ice Box, runner-up in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), drew post position 6 and was installed as the 3-1 morning favorite when a dozen horses were entered for the June 5, $1 million Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
In the latest developments for the June 5 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), Spangled Star has been added to the field for the 1 1/2-mile classic while New Madrid has been withdrawn from consideration.
Robert LaPenta Jr.'s Ice Box, the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) runner-up and probable morning-line favorite for the upcoming Belmont Stakes (gr. I), turned in a four-furlong work at Saratoga May 19.
Afleet Again took advantage of a blistering pace and collared the leaders in deep stretch to pull a 24-1 upset in the $150,000 Withers Stakes (gr. III) April 24 at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Named 2016 Longines World's Best Racehorse
- Smith Eagerly Awaits 'Chrome'-Arrogate Rematch
- Arrogate, California Chrome Meet Again in Pegasus
- Lea Gets Bay Filly as First Foal
- Arrogate Celebrated as Longines World's Best Racehorse
- Pegasus Features Several Unique Conditions
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - January 24, 2017
- Total of 418 3-year-olds Nominated to 2017 Triple Crown
- Behind Scenes of Arrogate’s World’s Best Ranking
- Pletcher Duo Stands Out in Poseidon Handicap