A record field of 606 entrants will compete for more than $2.36 million, the largest purse in handicapping tournament history, and an Eclipse Award at the 16th National Handicapping Championship Jan. 23-25.
Dr. John Ferraro, a 65-year-old oncologist from Clifton Park, N.Y., won a fractional interest in a 2-year-old racing prospect syndicated and managed by Sovereign Stable in a prize drawing held July 17.
Jose Arias of Bell Gardens near Los Angeles topped a field of 500 to win the 15th annual Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship Jan. 26 in Las Vegas.
The Boston Marathon bombings last April were rated by many news organizations as the top story of 2013, and now the New England connections of two 3-year-old colts have named them in tribute to the victims.
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association announced Aug. 14 that registration is open for the Sovereign Stable Free NHC Online Contest to be held Saturday, Aug. 17, at games.ntra.com.
The daughter of Northern Afleet is slated to make her big comeback in the April 3 Ashland Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland for Sovereign Stables, a public partnership group based in New Hampshire.
If only it always worked this way: buy a horse privately; win a grade I; and head to the Breeders' Cup World Championships. Forget always; for Matt Gatsas, just once is OK. Of course he wouldn't mind also winning the Breeders' Cup race.
Sovereign Stable's Negligee came from off the pace, charged down the lane, and collared favored She Be Wild in the final strides to score the $500,000 Darley Alcibiades (gr. I) at odds of 12-1 on opening day at Keeneland Oct. 9.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Bejarano to Ride Bolo in Kentucky Derby
- El Kabeir in Sharp Drill for Kentucky Derby
- Duramente Storms Home in Japanese Guineas
- I'm a Chatterbox Works Toward Kentucky Oaks
- Lone Star Cancels Part of April 18 Race Card
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Whiskey Ticket Wins IL Derby Like a Pro