Grade I winner Strapping Groom, who sustained a career-ending injury at Penn National Race Course in 2014, will begin his stallion career in Panama after selling at the Keeneland January horses of a sale.
Strapping Groom rallied in deep stretch to claim the $200,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct Racetrack, his first graded stakes score since a 15-1 upset in the Forego Stakes (gr. I) last summer.
Pacesetter Strapping Groom, a $35,000 claim in May, captured the Forego Stakes (gr. I) in a 15-1 upset Aug. 31 at Saratoga Race Course, surging in the final strides to edge Jackson Bend on a sloppy track.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Finest City Dazzles in Santa Monica
- Page McKenney Does it Again at Laurel Park
- First Foal Arrives for Gainesway's Karakontie
- Classic Empire On Track for Holy Bull
- Turfway Barn Under Quarantine for EHV-1 Wild Strain
- Farrell Opens Season With Silverbulletday Victory
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Big-Race Drefong Named Champion Male Sprinter