In the final start of her career, multiple graded stakes winner Upperline outfought Ciao Bella in the homestretch to prevail in the $125,000 Rood and Riddle Dowager Stakes Oct. 21 on the Keeneland turf.
Favored Upperline collared pacesetter Hooh Why in the final furlong to post a sharp four-length victory in the $150,000 Arlington Matron (gr. III) at Arlington Park May 26.
Upperline, runner-up in her last two stakes tries, found another gear in the late stages to win the $150,000 Grey Goose Bewitch (gr. IIIT) by 1 1/2 lengths April 26 at Keeneland.
Freshened since a fifth-place finish in the Ashland Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland three months ago, Upperline drew away to a 4 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Arlington Oaks (gr. III) July 3.
Noches de Rosa, a 5-year-old Chilean-bred mare, recorded her first North American victory Friday, capturing the featured $81,800 Reloy Handicap at Santa Anita Park by one length.
A bang-up field of nine goes postward in Saturday's feature at Del Mar, the grassy nine furlong $400,000 John C. Mabee/Ramona Handicap (gr. IT).
Most Popular Stories
- Mastery Passes Two-Turn Test in Futurity
- Thomas Enjoying Versatile Bridlewood Role
- Abel Tasman Upsets American Gal in Starlet
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Bode's Dream Perfect in House Party
- Paulassilverlining Golden in Garland of Roses
- Greatbullsoffire Runs Away With MD Futurity
- Mobile Bay Turns Tables in LA Classic
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight