In the final start of her career, multiple graded stakes winner Upperline outfought Ciao Bella in the homestretch to prevail in the $125,000 Rood and Riddle Dowager Stakes Oct. 21 on the Keeneland turf.
Favored Upperline collared pacesetter Hooh Why in the final furlong to post a sharp four-length victory in the $150,000 Arlington Matron (gr. III) at Arlington Park May 26.
Upperline, runner-up in her last two stakes tries, found another gear in the late stages to win the $150,000 Grey Goose Bewitch (gr. IIIT) by 1 1/2 lengths April 26 at Keeneland.
Freshened since a fifth-place finish in the Ashland Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland three months ago, Upperline drew away to a 4 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Arlington Oaks (gr. III) July 3.
Noches de Rosa, a 5-year-old Chilean-bred mare, recorded her first North American victory Friday, capturing the featured $81,800 Reloy Handicap at Santa Anita Park by one length.
A bang-up field of nine goes postward in Saturday's feature at Del Mar, the grassy nine furlong $400,000 John C. Mabee/Ramona Handicap (gr. IT).
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Arrives at Belmont
- Racing Leaders: Triple Crown Would Lift Sport
- Coolmore: Zenyatta's Dam Vertigineux Has Died
- Pan American Conference Draws a Crowd
- Sun and Warmer Temps Forecast for Belmont Day
- American Pharoah Has Final Breeze for Belmont
- De Kock Says American Pharoah a 'Super Horse'
- NBC Set for Belmont Stakes Coverage
- Sherman Reflects on Belmont Past and Present
- Stewart 'Feeling Good' About Tale of Verve