Shut off along the hedge in the final furlong, Nistle's Crunch altered his path sharply for jockey Robby Albarado and caught favored Seaspeak in the final yards to win the $112,900 Commonwealth Turf (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs Nov. 9.
Seaspeak and Amazing Results, both victims of bad racing luck last month at Keeneland, will each try to change their fortunes at Churchill Downs Nov. 9 when they go to post in the $100,000-added Commonwealth Turf (gr. IIIT), a 1 1/16-mile test for 3-year-olds.
Strait of Mewsina, trailing the field heading into the turn for home, finished best of all to post a 19-1 surprise in the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) in Illinois.
Adriano, winner of the Kent Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Delaware Park six weeks ago, figures to be a strong favorite when he takes on seven 3-year-olds in the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) on the turf in Illinois Oct. 11.
Michael Cooper and Pamela Ziebarth's Tizdejavu, undefeated on turf, will be after his fourth consecutive victory over the surface in the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) Aug. 9 at Arlington Park. Tizdejavu, trained by Gregory Fox, was installed as the 6-5 morning line favorite in the 1 1/4-mile test for 3-year-olds. Nine were entered.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired