Barbara Smollin's Sir Bear worked five furlongs at Calder Monday morning and is likely to contest the $300,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) on May 27. The 9-year-old gelding breezed five furlongs in 1:02 2/5.
There is a fountain of youth in Florida, just as Ponce de Leon originally suspected in the 16th century. But the Spaniard, who poked around the St. Augustine area looking for the elixir, would have been better off looking about 250 miles to the south, in the Calder Race Course barn of trainer Ralph Ziadie.
Most Popular Stories
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- After the Eclipse: Songbird at WinStar Part 2
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Tepin Gets Serious in Latest Work
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- Gulfstream Park Receives Safety Reaccreditation