Barbara Smollin's Sir Bear worked five furlongs at Calder Monday morning and is likely to contest the $300,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) on May 27. The 9-year-old gelding breezed five furlongs in 1:02 2/5.
There is a fountain of youth in Florida, just as Ponce de Leon originally suspected in the 16th century. But the Spaniard, who poked around the St. Augustine area looking for the elixir, would have been better off looking about 250 miles to the south, in the Calder Race Course barn of trainer Ralph Ziadie.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- The Influence of His Majesty
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees