Veteran trainer Thomas H. Voss, known for both his success in the steeplechase world and with runners on the flat, died Jan. 21 of an apparent heart attack.
Demonstrative, winner of the New York Turf Writers Cup Handicap (NSA-I), will battle with several veteran runners and new arrivals to American racing in the $250,000 Grand National (NSA-I), at Far Hills Races Oct. 20.
Liable, the dam of 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner and champion Blame, has been named Broodmare of the Year by the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association.
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's homebred Slip Away is named 2010 champion Steeplechaser based on his 25-plus length score in the Colonial Cup Hurdle Stakes (NSA-I).
Jason Shandler looks at the likely 2010 Eclipse Award winners. Read Blog
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's Slip Away swept to the lead approaching the Springdale Course's final turn and powered away to a remarkable 25 3/4-length victory in the Colonial Cup Steeplechase at Camden, S.C., on Nov. 13.
In his first United States start, Denmark-based Percussionist exploded through the stretch to win the $250,000 Grand National (NSA-I), featured race of the Far Hills Races Oct. 23 in New Jersey.
Trainer Jonathan Sheppard enjoyed a banner day at the Monmouth Park-Meridian Steeplechase Festival Sept. 25, capturing his 1,000th career hurdle win when Arcadius took the $100,000 Helen Haskell Sampson Stakes (NSA-I).
Irvin Naylor's Tax Ruling challenged front-running Slip Away before the next to last fence of the $150,000 Calvin Houghland Iroquois Steeplechase (NSA-I) May 8, took the lead before the last, and drew clear to win.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Mo Don't Know Named Ohio Horse of the Year
- Kitten's Cat Poised for Spiral Stakes
- Tamarando Retired, Will Stand at Harris Farms
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale