French-bred Silic, winner of the 1999 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Gulfstream Park has died. The 18-year-old stallion stood in Kentucky and California.
J. Terrence Lanni, 68, the retired chief executive officer of MGM Mirage, raced several graded stakes winners.
Unheralded Gladiatorus humbled a field that included 10 grade or group I winners when he sped to a front-running victory with local jockey Ahmed Ajtebi in the $5 million Dubai Duty Free (UAE-I) over the Nad al Sheba grass course March 28.
Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Silic and stakes winner Best Minister will stand in 2007 at Dinesh Maniar's Getaway Thoroughbred Farm near Romoland, Calif.
Let others worry about track conditions and post positions. Trainer Julio Canani has adopted the "What, Me Worry" stance made famous by Alfred E. Neuman as the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships approach.
Aljabr and Silic were represented by their first winners at the end of June.
French stallion Sillery, whose son Silic won the 1999 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), has died.
Pope McLean announced that Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Silic will enter stud at his Crestwood Farm near Lexington for a fee of $3,500 live foal.
1999 Breeders' Cup Mile winner Silic has suffered a recurrence of an old foot injury that will preclude him from defending his crown at Churchill Downs in November.
The Julio Canani-trained pair of Silic and Ladies Din, the one-two finishers in last year's Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), repeated that performance Sunday with Silic finishing 1/2-length ahead of Ladies Din.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner