Colonel John has been installed as a slight favorite over El Gato Malo in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 5. A larger-than-expected field of 11 was entered in the 1 1/8-mile synthetic track test for 3-year-olds.
The Breeders' Cup World Championships and the Jersey Shore met head on this week, and judging from the weather forecast, a good portion of the shore will be washing up on Monmouth Park Friday and Saturday. The expected heavy rains will leave the 11 Breeders' Cup races pretty much a mess and a guess.
Harry Aleo's Smokey Stover and Charles Laloggia's Clearly Foxy both shipped into Monmouth Park Oct. 18, and trainer Chuck Peery sent 2-year-old Shore Do out for a five-furlong breeze this morning.
Dixie Chatter, slowed this season by treatment for a throat ulcer, produced the strongest effort of his career in winning the $250,000 Norfolk Stakes (gr. I) on the Santa Anita Cushion Track for trainer Richard Mandella.
Most Popular Stories
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- OBS Numbers Plummet During Open Session
- Mohaymen Cuts Back to Sprint in King's Bishop
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- Quality Five-Horse Field for Personal Ensign
- Ballerina Stakes Has Stage Full of Talent
- CHRB Member Calls for Trainer 'Profiling'
- Trainer Brown Captures 1,000th Win