Jockey Lanfranco "Frankie" Dettori, who rode Ouija Board and Red Rocks to victory during the Nov. 4 Breeders' Cup Thoroughbred Championships, was named recipient of the annual Bill Shoemaker Award during a press breakfast the following morning at Churchill Downs.
- By Ron Mitchell
Jockey John Velazquez, who won two races on Saturday's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships card at Lone Star Park, was named recipient of the Shoemaker Award, voted on by the media covering the event.
One jockey will be honored for overall outstanding performance in this year's Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships and subsequent editions of the event with the Bill Shoemaker Award, the National Thoroughbred Racing Association and Breeders' Cup announced Oct. 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- Sweet Loretta Powers to Schuylerville Win
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Songbird Adds Star Power to Sunday's CCA Oaks