An incentive program to attract out-of-state horses to race in California that has had success over the past four seasons at Del Mar will expand to the entire Southern California racing circuit April 2.
Del Mar's 15-day inaugural fall "Bing Crosby Season" enjoyed a strong opening weekend Nov. 7-9 when compared with last year's figures at Hollywood Park.
"Ship and Win," Del Mar's promotion to bring in out-of-state performers, has attracted hundreds of racehorses over the past three summers and is back for another season in 2014 with its lucrative incentives intact.
With the Del Mar race meet surpassing its mid-point, the seaside California oval continues to experience an increase in betting and decline in attendance.
Del Mar completed its 75th season with sizable increases in purses and on-track and all-source wagering, but attendance took a slight dip during the 37-day meet at the Southern California track that ended Sept. 5.
Fueled by strong on-track and out-of-state simulcast wagering, all-sources handle has increased 3.5% during the first three weeks of racing at Del Mar in Southern California.
The catalog for the inaugural Paddock Sale at Del Mar of Race Ready Horses in Training is now on-line. This auction of 44 racehorseswill be held July 22 in the paddock at Del Mar beginning at about 6:30 p.m. PDT.
Del Mar's first-ever 'race-ready racehorse sale' will be presented in its paddock following the day's live racing July 22. The sale is expected to begin at approximately 6:30 p.m. PDT.
Overall handle figures at Del Mar this summer are down by 5.8% as the seaside track barrels into the second half of its 37-day stand.
Most Popular Stories
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Accelerate Finds Just Enough in Los Al Derby
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- Lexie Lou Officially Retired
- Senor Guitar First Winner for Star Guitar
- Deeply Undervalued Wins Commonwealth Derby
- Caren, Are You Kidding Me Score at Woodbine
- Mrs McDougal Shows the Way in Noble Damsel