European champion and sire Dayjur was euthanized Sept. 25 at Shadwell Farm in Lexington due to the infirmities of old age, according to an announcement from the farm. He was 26 and had been pensioned since 2010.
Alpine Rose withstood the late challenge of Lady Marian to notch her first group I victory, taking the Darley Prix Jean Romanet (Fr-I) by a short head at Deauville Aug. 23. Earlier in the day, Arcano set a course record in winning the Darley Prix Morny (Fr-I).
Britain's yearling sales season began on a buoyant note when the Doncaster St Leger Sale -- held a week earlier than usual -- broke all previous records.
Tattersalls October Yearling Sale (Part One) saw a new record price Wednesday night when the very last lot into the ring, a Diesis colt out of dual classic-placed Kitza, sold for a million guineas for Irish veterinarian Demi O'Byrne, buying for John Magnier and Michael Tabor.
Sheikh Hamdan's Mutamam made it a Maktoum double at Newmarket Tuesday as the 6-year-old horse took the Princess of Wales's Pearl and Coutts Stakes (Eng-II) by 1 1/2 lengths over Little Rock.
Sheikh Hamdan al Maktoum's homebred Alshakr (by Bahri) defeated Croeso Cariad (Most Welcome) by 1 1/2 lengths in the Falmouth Stakes, Wednesday's featured event on the Newmarket, England card.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Jockeys Fined for Whip Violations in SoCal
- 'Kathy' Prevails in Perfect Sting Thriller
- Injured Jockey Selman Undergoes Back Surgery
- Got Lucky Surges to Molly Pitcher Victory
- Force Upsets New York Derby
- Pedigree Analysis: Olympia
- Oaklawn Improvements Include New Barn
- Filly First Winner for Here Comes Ben
- Laurel Cancels Racing Due to Water Main Break