Going strictly by the numbers, Windsurfer would appear to have little or no shot to win the Louisiana Derby. But sometimes, numbers do lie, which is why racing has a steady stream of longshot winners. read blog
El Padrino, who showed himself to be a Triple Crown contender with a sharp allowance win at Gulfstream Park Jan. 29, heads a field of 11 entered for the $300,000 Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) at Fair Grounds Feb. 25.
Brereton Jones' homebred Mr. Bowling delivered a game effort in his 3-year-old debut, turning back Z Dager and Shared Property in an exciting finish to win the $175,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 21 at Fair Grounds.
The $175,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III), Fair Grounds' first graded 3-year-old race leading up to the Louisiana Derby (gr. II), drew a field of 13, a handful of them thought to be early Triple Crown prospects.
Grade III winners Shared Property and Majestic City top an overflow field of 2-year-olds entered in the Oct. 8 Dixiana Breeders' Futurity (gr. I) at Keeneland.
Jerry Namy's Shared Property had just enough to get by Take Charge Indy to win the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) Sept. 10 at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Second Summer catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Different Paths, Futures for Two Spiral Contenders