Multiple grade I winner Jackson Bend, who raced for Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito and owners Robert LaPenta and Fred Brei of Jacks or Better Farm, has been retired to stand for $5,000 at Journeyman Stud in 2013.
Jackson Bend, the longest shot in the field, held off a flying even-money choice Caleb's Posse in the final strides to prevail in the $400,000 Carter Handicap (gr. I) at Aqueduct April 7.
With a patient John Velazquez guiding him, Jackson Bend opened up his 2012 campaign in style with a sharp victory in the $100,000 Hal's Hope (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
Robert LaPenta and Fred Brei's Jackson Bend comes from off the pace to win the seven-furlong Forego Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga in 1:22.08.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Inspiring hope for small breeders is juvenile standout Jackson Bend, whose durability and precocity combined are traits this Florida homebred inherited from both sides of his pedigree.
Stakes winner Hear No Evil was represented by his first winner when his son Jackson Bend won June 4 at Calder Race Course.
Anasheed, a graded stakes-placed runner, was represented by his first winner when his daughter Garter Belt won May 17 at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes