Multiple grade I winner Jackson Bend, who raced for Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito and owners Robert LaPenta and Fred Brei of Jacks or Better Farm, has been retired to stand for $5,000 at Journeyman Stud in 2013.
Jackson Bend, the longest shot in the field, held off a flying even-money choice Caleb's Posse in the final strides to prevail in the $400,000 Carter Handicap (gr. I) at Aqueduct April 7.
With a patient John Velazquez guiding him, Jackson Bend opened up his 2012 campaign in style with a sharp victory in the $100,000 Hal's Hope (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
Robert LaPenta and Fred Brei's Jackson Bend comes from off the pace to win the seven-furlong Forego Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga in 1:22.08.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Inspiring hope for small breeders is juvenile standout Jackson Bend, whose durability and precocity combined are traits this Florida homebred inherited from both sides of his pedigree.
Stakes winner Hear No Evil was represented by his first winner when his son Jackson Bend won June 4 at Calder Race Course.
Anasheed, a graded stakes-placed runner, was represented by his first winner when his daughter Garter Belt won May 17 at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- OBS Numbers Plummet During Open Session
- Mohaymen Cuts Back to Sprint in King's Bishop
- Quality Five-Horse Field for Personal Ensign
- Ballerina Stakes Has Stage Full of Talent
- Trainer Brown Captures 1,000th Win
- CHRB Member Calls for Trainer 'Profiling'
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- A.P. Indian Puts Streak On Line in Forego