B. Wayne Hughes' Spendthrift Farm went to an Australian record price of $1.2 million (US$984,180) to land a Sepoy colt at the Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale Jan. 10.
A daughter of Darley's Central Kentucky shuttler Lonhro sold for a Magic Millions National weanling sale record price for a filly.
The select portion of the Magic Millions national broodmare sale ended its two-day run in Australia May 29 with increases of 23.9% in gross and 37.6% in average price from a year ago.
The Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale opened Jan. 11 in Australia with an increase of 5.3% in median price from a year ago. However, the number sold, gross, and average price for the first session declined.
Sister Madly, winner of the Feb. 12 Scream Southern Cross Frederick Clissold Stakes (Aust-III), brought Aust$1 million ($1,070,090 in U.S. funds) to top the opening session of the Magic Millions national broodmare sale.
Redoute's Choice colt tops first session, brings Aust$1,875,000 ($2,725,800 in U.S. funds).
The team from Darley Australia purchased the most expensive horse June 5 during the second session of the Magic Millions broodmare sale on Australia's Gold Coast. John Sunderland signed the Aust$500,000 (approximately $400,905 in U.S. funds) sale ticket for Belcentra, a stakes-winning Bel Esprit mare that is in foal to Exceed and Excel.
For the embattled, almost crippled breeding industry in New South Wales, the major Thoroughbred nursery in Australia, the news seems to worsen every day. Now wind is driving equine influenza to imperil 15,000 newborn foals.
Most Popular Stories
- Shaman Ghost Rallies to Take Queen's Plate
- Big Blue Kitten Takes United Nations
- Aldous Snow Repeats in Singspiel Stakes
- Strut the Course Edges Favorite at Woodbine
- Front-Runner Dogwood Trail Blossoms in Azalea
- Nutan Easy Winner of German Derby
- Favorites Dominate on Louisiana Legends Night
- Jockey Gonzalez Posts Career Victory 3,000
- Grand Bili Upsets Barbados in Carry Back
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks