Wilko, the 2004 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner making his first start since the Preakness (gr. I) May 21, finished a game third in a three-horse photo finish to Saturday's $60,800 Larkspur Stakes for 3-year-olds at Golden Gate Fields.
The undefeated sprint star Lost in the Fog drew post position one Wednesday when entries were taken for the $100,000 Bay Meadows Speed Handicap.
Demon Warlock was named 2004 Washington-bred horse of the year Saturday.
It wasn't planned, but a change in race tactics paid off in a 14-1 surprise when Habaneros broke on top in his stakes debut and repelled all challengers in the stretch to win the 1 1/2-mile Carleton F. Burke Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- KY Oaks Contenders Birdatthewire, Puca Breeze
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita
- La Verdad Repeats Score in Distaff 'Cap
- Dissident Retires in Style With All Aged Win
- Carpe Diem Works for Jet-Setting Pletcher
- Pint-Sized Pasadena Girl Uncorks Champagne
- Firing Line Drills in Company at Santa Anita
- International Star Heads Derby Works at CD