Wilko, the 2004 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner making his first start since the Preakness (gr. I) May 21, finished a game third in a three-horse photo finish to Saturday's $60,800 Larkspur Stakes for 3-year-olds at Golden Gate Fields.
The undefeated sprint star Lost in the Fog drew post position one Wednesday when entries were taken for the $100,000 Bay Meadows Speed Handicap.
Demon Warlock was named 2004 Washington-bred horse of the year Saturday.
It wasn't planned, but a change in race tactics paid off in a 14-1 surprise when Habaneros broke on top in his stakes debut and repelled all challengers in the stretch to win the 1 1/2-mile Carleton F. Burke Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Park Cancels Card in Deluge
- Almoonqith Wins at Meydan, Cavalryman Injured
- Devine Aida Aces Sloppy Herecomesthebride
- Illinois Racing Board Appointments Announced
- Mongolian Khan Wins Duel for NZ Derby
- Extra Two Days Approved for Oaklawn Season
- Pride of Dubai Wins Blue Diamond Thriller
- Another Chapter for John Nerud
- Shamal Wind, Suavito Sprint to Caulfield Wins
- Oaklawn Park Cancels Feb. 28 Racing