Wilko, the 2004 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner making his first start since the Preakness (gr. I) May 21, finished a game third in a three-horse photo finish to Saturday's $60,800 Larkspur Stakes for 3-year-olds at Golden Gate Fields.
The undefeated sprint star Lost in the Fog drew post position one Wednesday when entries were taken for the $100,000 Bay Meadows Speed Handicap.
Demon Warlock was named 2004 Washington-bred horse of the year Saturday.
It wasn't planned, but a change in race tactics paid off in a 14-1 surprise when Habaneros broke on top in his stakes debut and repelled all challengers in the stretch to win the 1 1/2-mile Carleton F. Burke Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Enola Gray Passes Two-Turn Test in Melair
- Diva Express, I'm a Looker Dead Heat at CD
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- First U.S. Winner for Algorithms
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag