Wilko, the 2004 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner making his first start since the Preakness (gr. I) May 21, finished a game third in a three-horse photo finish to Saturday's $60,800 Larkspur Stakes for 3-year-olds at Golden Gate Fields.
The undefeated sprint star Lost in the Fog drew post position one Wednesday when entries were taken for the $100,000 Bay Meadows Speed Handicap.
Demon Warlock was named 2004 Washington-bred horse of the year Saturday.
It wasn't planned, but a change in race tactics paid off in a 14-1 surprise when Habaneros broke on top in his stakes debut and repelled all challengers in the stretch to win the 1 1/2-mile Carleton F. Burke Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz