Wilko, the 2004 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner making his first start since the Preakness (gr. I) May 21, finished a game third in a three-horse photo finish to Saturday's $60,800 Larkspur Stakes for 3-year-olds at Golden Gate Fields.
The undefeated sprint star Lost in the Fog drew post position one Wednesday when entries were taken for the $100,000 Bay Meadows Speed Handicap.
Demon Warlock was named 2004 Washington-bred horse of the year Saturday.
It wasn't planned, but a change in race tactics paid off in a 14-1 surprise when Habaneros broke on top in his stakes debut and repelled all challengers in the stretch to win the 1 1/2-mile Carleton F. Burke Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Oak Tree's Santa Anita meet Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Daily Updates
- Day By Day
- Bourbon Lane Launches Pasture at Old Friends
- Cooler Temps Forecast for Derby Week
- Taptowne Looks for Breakthrough in Texas Mile
- How Hong Kong's On-Track Pharmacies Work
- CHRB to Hear Report on Proposed Fairplex Move
- Stars of the Oaks: Blind Luck
- Saratoga 2014 to Offer Record Stakes Purses
- Old Friends Retires GII Winner Radiohead