Scrofa, ridden patiently by Patrick Valenzuela, rallied between horses and prevailed by a half-length Thursday in the $140,625 Irish O'Brien Stakes for California-bred fillies and mares at Santa Anita Park.
Bobby Frankel, who has won nearly every major stakes race during a Hall of Fame career of nearly 40 years, seeks to add the Santa Margarita Handicap (gr. I) to his impressive resume, sending out Personal Legend and Sweet Lips in Saturday's $300,000 race.
The wire came just in time for Valentine Dancer, who defended her title in the Cloverleaf Farms Filly & Mare Turf with an all-out effort in the $500,000 Sunshine Millions event at Gulfstream Park Saturday.
Scrofa, in her fourth start since being claimed for $62,500, posted a convincing victory in the $100,000 Work The Crowd Handicap for California-bred fillies and mares at Golden Gate Fields Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- Lubash Takes West Point for Second Time
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- MJC: Laurel Meet Offered Building Blocks
- Smart Strike Stallion Sons