Defending winner Jackson Bend looks for a repeat July 20 in the $100,000 James Marvin Stakes (gr. III) at Saratoga Race Course. As usual, he'll have to tangle with a giant to get the job done.
With a well-timed ride by jockey Florent Geroux, Silverton Hills' Havelock got up in the final strides to overtake favored Lonesome Street to win the $150,000 Hanshin Cup (gr. III) by a neck.
An experienced field of older runners face off at Arlington in the grade III Hanshin Cup May 19 with a slew of recent winners set to go in a very competitive heat.
Alternation leads a field of seven in the Jim Dandy (gr. II) and will face the rapidly improving Dominus as well as Belmont Stakes (gr. I) second and third-place finishers Stay Thirsty and Brilliant Speed.
Favorites, upsets, Arabians, and more defined Stephen Foster Day 2011. View Slideshow
Peter Callahan's Scotus made a winning stakes debut June 18 when he took over inside the sixteenth-pole to score by one length in the $138,500 Matt Winn (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Illinois Derby (gr. III) winner Joe Vann leads a field of eight 3-year-olds entered in the $125,000 Matt Winn Presented by Emirates Equestrian Federation Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs June 18.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Apprentice Aparicio Rides First U.S. Winner