Oaklawn Park's road to the Longines Kentucky Oaks (G1) begins Feb. 11 with the one-mile Martha Washington Stakes.
Jockey John Velazquez, who is recuperating from injuries suffered Nov. 2 when when his mount Secret Compass broke down during the running of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), reports he expects a full recovery.
During the fourth session of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 17, very little changed from the results seen during the first three days of the marathon sale.
A filly from the last full crop sired by leading stallion Storm Cat was purchased by Westrock Stables for $675,000 to top the early portion of the Thursday, Sept. 17, Keeneland September yearling sale.
For the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), Lukas has not one, not two, but three fillies that are looking to take the lilies from overwhelming favorite Rachel Alexandra...or at least get a whiff of them by checking in second, third, or even fourth.
Westrock Stables' Scott Ford, a former president and chief executive officer of Alltel, hasn't been in the Thoroughbred business for long, but he was a major player at the Ocala Breeders'Sales Co. select sale of 2-year-olds in training.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot