Oaklawn Park's road to the Longines Kentucky Oaks (G1) begins Feb. 11 with the one-mile Martha Washington Stakes.
Jockey John Velazquez, who is recuperating from injuries suffered Nov. 2 when when his mount Secret Compass broke down during the running of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), reports he expects a full recovery.
During the fourth session of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 17, very little changed from the results seen during the first three days of the marathon sale.
A filly from the last full crop sired by leading stallion Storm Cat was purchased by Westrock Stables for $675,000 to top the early portion of the Thursday, Sept. 17, Keeneland September yearling sale.
For the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), Lukas has not one, not two, but three fillies that are looking to take the lilies from overwhelming favorite Rachel Alexandra...or at least get a whiff of them by checking in second, third, or even fourth.
Westrock Stables' Scott Ford, a former president and chief executive officer of Alltel, hasn't been in the Thoroughbred business for long, but he was a major player at the Ocala Breeders'Sales Co. select sale of 2-year-olds in training.
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup