Oaklawn Park's road to the Longines Kentucky Oaks (G1) begins Feb. 11 with the one-mile Martha Washington Stakes.
Jockey John Velazquez, who is recuperating from injuries suffered Nov. 2 when when his mount Secret Compass broke down during the running of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), reports he expects a full recovery.
During the fourth session of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 17, very little changed from the results seen during the first three days of the marathon sale.
A filly from the last full crop sired by leading stallion Storm Cat was purchased by Westrock Stables for $675,000 to top the early portion of the Thursday, Sept. 17, Keeneland September yearling sale.
For the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), Lukas has not one, not two, but three fillies that are looking to take the lilies from overwhelming favorite Rachel Alexandra...or at least get a whiff of them by checking in second, third, or even fourth.
Westrock Stables' Scott Ford, a former president and chief executive officer of Alltel, hasn't been in the Thoroughbred business for long, but he was a major player at the Ocala Breeders'Sales Co. select sale of 2-year-olds in training.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta