Michigan Racing Commissioner Robert Geake said he would leave his post when his term expires at the end of December, and that he hopes to make the long-awaited decision on granting a suburban Detroit racetrack license before he goes.
Michigan voters effectively sounded the death knell for racinos in the state when they passed the anti-gambling Proposal 1 by a 58%-42% margin with 98% of precincts reporting.
Thanks largely to an advertising onslaught led by Gov. Jennifer Granholm, Michigan's Proposal 1, the ballot initiative that would effectively prohibit racinos in the state, has slipped dramatically in polls and is now considered a toss-up in the Nov. 2 election.
Officially there is still life in legislation to introduce video lottery terminals to Michigan racetracks. But following an Aug. 4 vote in the state legislature, the breathing is shallow and the pulse is weak.
Groups for and against the proposed transfer of Michigan's Great Lakes Downs racing license had their say at a state racing commission hearing in Lansing July 29. And what they said was nothing more than expected.
Legislation to legalize video lottery terminals at Michigan racetracks took a tenuous, toddling step forward April 29 when the state Senate narrowly approved a racino bill after nearly a year of inaction. But much work remains.
Chalk up an added entry in the already crowded field to build a Thoroughbred racetrack in the Detroit metropolitan area.
A member of the state Senate committee considering legislation that would allow video lottery terminals at Michigan racetracks predicted the week of March 22 that the bill would be voted out of committee and passed by the Senate this spring.
Magna Entertainment Corp. removed another obstacle to bringing Thoroughbred racing back to the Detroit area on Tuesday when it applied to transfer its Great Lakes Downs racing license to a Delaware corporation.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Z Capital Partners Purchases Parent Company of DRF
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- San Pablo's First Winner Scores at Finger Lakes
- Anthony's Cross Gets First Winner in Indiana