Six weeks ago, WinStar Farm looked as though it would be without a starter in the upcoming Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). Now, the powerful outfit could have three, the final potential starter coming thanks to a eye-catching, last-to-first victory by Advice in the $300,000 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) April 18 on the Keeneland Polytrack.
Based on the company he had been keeping, it was going to be difficult to deny favored Diamond Stripes in the $500,000 Meadowlands Breeders' Cup (gr. II). Magna Graduate did everything he could in a stretch-long duel with the 11-10 choice, but came up a half-length short the night of Oct. 5 in New Jersey.
Samuel H. Rogers Jr.'s Changing World took charge at the break and was never headed in winning the $200,000 Violet Handicap (gr. IIIT) at the Meadowlands on Friday night.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Ward Sends Three Fillies in Kentucky Juvenile
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Cathryn Sophia Gets Early Morning Workout