A field of eight older horses, including last year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Funny Cide, was entered Friday for Sunday's $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) at Fair Grounds Race Course in New Orleans.
Three grade I winners, headed by Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Funny Cide and Blue Grass (gr. I) and Haskell Invitational Stakes (gr. I) winner Peace Rules, are among the nine horses likely for Sunday's $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) at Fair Grounds in New Orleans.
Trainer Bobby Frankel continues his seemingly insatiable quest for graded stakes wins Monday when he sends John Amerman's Urban King in the $150,000 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds running a mile and an eighth on the turf.
Excessivepleasure, ridden by Jon Court, upset 1-2 favorite Champali with a gate-to-wire track-record romp in the $250,000 Iowa Derby at Prairie Meadows Saturday night.
Champali, June's winner of the Northern Dancer stakes at Churchill Downs, emerges as the slight favorite in Saturday's fifth running of the $250,000 Iowa Derby at Prairie Meadows.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Private Zone All the Way in Belmont Sprint
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- No Positives in June 2015 Economic Indicators
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win
- Coffee Clique Proves Best in James Penny