Sir Cherokee, knocked off stride in a roughly run New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) Feb. 29 at Fair Grounds, returned to his Oaklawn Park base after having suffered body soreness and superficial cuts. But his trainer, Mike Tomlinson, isn't particularly happy with the events of the day.
Peace Rules proved to be the toughest in Sunday's controversial Fair Grounds rodeo, also known as the $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II), prevailing by a short head over Saint Liam.
A field of eight older horses, including last year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner Funny Cide, was entered Friday for Sunday's $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) at Fair Grounds Race Course in New Orleans.
Three grade I winners, headed by Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Funny Cide and Blue Grass (gr. I) and Haskell Invitational Stakes (gr. I) winner Peace Rules, are among the nine horses likely for Sunday's $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) at Fair Grounds in New Orleans.
Trainer Bobby Frankel continues his seemingly insatiable quest for graded stakes wins Monday when he sends John Amerman's Urban King in the $150,000 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds running a mile and an eighth on the turf.
Excessivepleasure, ridden by Jon Court, upset 1-2 favorite Champali with a gate-to-wire track-record romp in the $250,000 Iowa Derby at Prairie Meadows Saturday night.
Champali, June's winner of the Northern Dancer stakes at Churchill Downs, emerges as the slight favorite in Saturday's fifth running of the $250,000 Iowa Derby at Prairie Meadows.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Mo Don't Know Named Ohio Horse of the Year
- Kitten's Cat Poised for Spiral Stakes
- Tamarando Retired, Will Stand at Harris Farms
- Strong U.S. Contingent in Golden Shaheen