After flying through a half mile in :44.80, Goldencents dug deep to hold off a determined Tapiture in the stretch to win the $1 million Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I), successfully defending his 2013 win in the race.
Goldencents avenged his loss in last year's $250,000 Pat O'Brien Stakes (gr. II) with a dominating wire-to-wire track record performance in this year's edition at Del Mar Aug. 24.
With last year's Kentucky Derby victory of I'll Have Another still fresh in their minds, members of Team O'Neill were back at Churchill Downs the morning of April 28 in search of a repeat performance with Goldencents.
Goldencents was on top of his game April 6, turning back even-money choice Flashback to capture the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and handing trainer Doug O'Neill consecutive wins in the important West Coast test.
Odds-on favorite Goldencents got his start on the Triple Crown trail off to a solid start with a 1 1/2-length victory in the $100,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 5 at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Khozan Injured, Off Kentucky Derby Trail
- Jockey Chapa's Fine Increased to $100,000
- California Chrome 'Tight Enough' for Dubai
- At Santa Anita, Prat Delivers at a Price
- Toast of New York Out of Dubai World Cup
- American Pharoah Adds Another Bullet Work
- Ike Walker Rules South Mississippi at FG
- Live Chat - Friday, March 6 at NOON EST
- Belardo, Hootenanny Among Guineas Nominees
- Winter Weather Continues to Impact Racing