Atreides, a stakes-winning son of Medaglia d'Oro, sired his first reported foal Jan. 20 at Chuck and Lyra Miller's Rosecrest Farm in Paris, Ky., Hill 'n' Dale Farms announced Jan. 27.
After flying through a half mile in :44.80, Goldencents dug deep to hold off a determined Tapiture in the stretch to win the $1 million Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I), successfully defending his 2013 win in the race.
Goldencents avenged his loss in last year's $250,000 Pat O'Brien Stakes (gr. II) with a dominating wire-to-wire track record performance in this year's edition at Del Mar Aug. 24.
With last year's Kentucky Derby victory of I'll Have Another still fresh in their minds, members of Team O'Neill were back at Churchill Downs the morning of April 28 in search of a repeat performance with Goldencents.
Goldencents was on top of his game April 6, turning back even-money choice Flashback to capture the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and handing trainer Doug O'Neill consecutive wins in the important West Coast test.
Odds-on favorite Goldencents got his start on the Triple Crown trail off to a solid start with a 1 1/2-length victory in the $100,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 5 at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal
- Finnegans Wake to Stand at Ballena Vista Farm