Robert LaPenta's S.S. Stone again showed his affinity for the main track at Gulfstream Park with an easy victory in the $100,000 Skip Away Stakes (gr. III) April 3.
Nick Zito trainees Fly Down and Morning Line, both thought to be among the top handicap horses in 2011, could wind up as the top two choices in a star-studded Donn Handicap (gr. I) Feb. 5 at Gulfstream Park.
The early pace will definitively shape the Louisiana Derby, and so we should know after about a half-mile if the closers have a chance to win. Will there be enough early lick for that to happen?
Jason, Tom, and Rich Nilsen of twinspires.com preview the Louisiana Derby (gr. II). Watch Video
The field for this weekend's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) is similar to the recently concluded Florida Derby (gr. I) in one important way: Both major Kentucky Derby preps drew full fields of promising but unproven 3-year-olds.
The $750,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) at Fair Grounds on Saturday, March 27, has drawn a field of 13, headed by Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) winner Discreetly Mine.
Jason, Tom, and James Scully of brisnet/twinspires.com preview the Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) and the Risen Star (gr. II). Watch Video
Fair Grounds' $300,000 prep race attracts plenty of potential stars; gains some starters from Florida.
The second stakes winner for Full Mandate scores in an early Kentucky Derby prep.
Closing from out of the clouds, Ron the Greek ran down favored Maximus Ruler in the final strides to capture the $100,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) by 1 1/2 lengths at Fair Grounds Jan. 23.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Firing Line Stretches Legs in Derby Breeze
- Keen Ice Warms Up for Derby With Workout
- KY Derby: Jerry Crawford on Keen Ice, Puca
- Birdatthewire Delivers Smooth Churchill Move
- Tencendur Beats the Rain in Morning Work
- Jazdzewski Landed Young Far Right for $2,500
- NTRA Has Net Gain for Third Consecutive Year
- Madefromlucky Officially Out of KY Derby
- Storm Washes Away Texas Mile at Lone Star