Recapturetheglory, fifth in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has had his Preakness Stakes (gr. I) plans derailed by a fever. The son of Cherokee Run is officially out, according to co-owner Ronnie Lamarque, who confirmed the news at 2 p.m. EDT May 10.
Saying "we're there to win", co-owner Ronnie Lamarque announced May 7 that Recapturetheglory, who finished fifth to Big Brown in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), is confirmed for $1 million Preakness Stakes (gr. I) May 17 at Pimlico Race Course.
Recapturetheglory, thought to be nothing more than a pacesetter, jumped to the early lead and never gave it up, powering home to a commanding four-length victory in the $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II) April 5 at Hawthorne Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm