Recapturetheglory, fifth in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has had his Preakness Stakes (gr. I) plans derailed by a fever. The son of Cherokee Run is officially out, according to co-owner Ronnie Lamarque, who confirmed the news at 2 p.m. EDT May 10.
Saying "we're there to win", co-owner Ronnie Lamarque announced May 7 that Recapturetheglory, who finished fifth to Big Brown in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), is confirmed for $1 million Preakness Stakes (gr. I) May 17 at Pimlico Race Course.
Recapturetheglory, thought to be nothing more than a pacesetter, jumped to the early lead and never gave it up, powering home to a commanding four-length victory in the $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II) April 5 at Hawthorne Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Lady Aurelia Overpowers Males in King's Stand