Recapturetheglory, fifth in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has had his Preakness Stakes (gr. I) plans derailed by a fever. The son of Cherokee Run is officially out, according to co-owner Ronnie Lamarque, who confirmed the news at 2 p.m. EDT May 10.
Saying "we're there to win", co-owner Ronnie Lamarque announced May 7 that Recapturetheglory, who finished fifth to Big Brown in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), is confirmed for $1 million Preakness Stakes (gr. I) May 17 at Pimlico Race Course.
Recapturetheglory, thought to be nothing more than a pacesetter, jumped to the early lead and never gave it up, powering home to a commanding four-length victory in the $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II) April 5 at Hawthorne Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test