The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission on Dec. 1 approved Turfway Park to add historical racing, although track officials did not put a timetable on when such gaming would become reality at the Northern Kentucky track.
Media outlets in Cincinnati and Las Vegas report that Caesars Entertainment on Feb. 26 sold off enough of its interest in Turfway Park to Dan Gilbert's Rock Ohio Ventures to make Rock Ohio the majority owner of the track.
Though it already has one of the safest tracks in the country, Turfway Park plans $500,000 worth of improvements to its Polytrack surface through 2015.
The Ohio Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association has informed Thistledown it won't grant the track approval to export its signal when live racing begins April 19 because it has no deal with horsemen on VLT revenue.
Turfway Park is expected to soon announce this year's Spiral Stakes will be sponsored by Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati, the under-construction gaming facility owned by its parent company.
The company whose permit to operate Thistledown was approved by the Ohio State Racing Commission Aug. 22 indicated the planned video lottery terminal operation at the racetrack will be more than temporary.
In a move that could lead to similar ventures in the future, Keeneland Association has been approved to set up a drive-through betting window at the Kentucky Horse Park for this year's Kentucky Derby and Oaks.
Rock Gaming LLC, a partner in a casino being built in Cincinnati, Ohio has requested Kentucky Horse Racing Commission approval to purchase a part interest in Turfway Park in northern Kentucky.
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- First Foal for Circumference is a Filly
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes