Demonstrative took a big step toward the 2014 Eclipse Award as the nation's outstanding steeplechase horse when he easily captured the $250,000 Grand National Oct. 18 at Far Hills, N.J., for his third straight grade I win.
Trained by Richard Valentine, the victory marked the second time Demonstrative has won the New York Turf Writers as the 7-year-old Elusive Quality gelding also took the 2012 edition of the race.
Jockey Robert Walsh deftly avoided trouble on Demonstrative when leader Divine Fortune fell over the final jump, going on to win the $150,000 New York Turf Writers Cup Steeplechase Handicap (NSA-I) at Saratoga Aug. 23.
Polaris Stable's Preemptive Strike broke on top and was never headed, winning the $75,000 Somerset Medical Center Steeplechase (NSA-II), a race for cancer awareness, at the Meadowlands on Saturday night by five lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby