Demonstrative took a big step toward the 2014 Eclipse Award as the nation's outstanding steeplechase horse when he easily captured the $250,000 Grand National Oct. 18 at Far Hills, N.J., for his third straight grade I win.
Trained by Richard Valentine, the victory marked the second time Demonstrative has won the New York Turf Writers as the 7-year-old Elusive Quality gelding also took the 2012 edition of the race.
Jockey Robert Walsh deftly avoided trouble on Demonstrative when leader Divine Fortune fell over the final jump, going on to win the $150,000 New York Turf Writers Cup Steeplechase Handicap (NSA-I) at Saratoga Aug. 23.
Polaris Stable's Preemptive Strike broke on top and was never headed, winning the $75,000 Somerset Medical Center Steeplechase (NSA-II), a race for cancer awareness, at the Meadowlands on Saturday night by five lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt