Demonstrative took a big step toward the 2014 Eclipse Award as the nation's outstanding steeplechase horse when he easily captured the $250,000 Grand National Oct. 18 at Far Hills, N.J., for his third straight grade I win.
Trained by Richard Valentine, the victory marked the second time Demonstrative has won the New York Turf Writers as the 7-year-old Elusive Quality gelding also took the 2012 edition of the race.
Jockey Robert Walsh deftly avoided trouble on Demonstrative when leader Divine Fortune fell over the final jump, going on to win the $150,000 New York Turf Writers Cup Steeplechase Handicap (NSA-I) at Saratoga Aug. 23.
Polaris Stable's Preemptive Strike broke on top and was never headed, winning the $75,000 Somerset Medical Center Steeplechase (NSA-II), a race for cancer awareness, at the Meadowlands on Saturday night by five lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan