When Easter Gift finished a solid third to eventual 3-year-old champion Will Take Charge and Game On Dude in last year's Clark Handicap (gr. I), trainer Chad Brown was hoping that big things could be on the horizon.
Ice Box, a grade I winner and second in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been retired from racing to stand at Calumet Farm near Lexington.
Graded stakes winner Coal Play, who finished a close second to Big Brown in a grade I stakes, has been retired from racing and will enter stud in 2011 at Joe and Anne McMahon's McMahon of Saratoga Thoroughbreds.
The Nick Zito-trained Andromeda's Hero flew past 52-1 shot Summer Legacy in the final furlong and powered home to a convincing 2 ½-length victory in Saturday's $100,000 Sam F. Davis Stakes, a 1 1/16-mile test for 3-year-olds at Tampa Bay Downs.
Robert V. LaPenta's Pies Prospect seized control before the eighth pole and pulled away for an easy victory in the $100,000 Fred W. Hooper Handicap (gr. III) at Calder Race Course Saturday.
The last horse in the auction ring Sunday brought the top price of $320,000 during the sixth session of Keeneland's September yearling sale in Central Kentucky. Robert V. LaPenta's Whitehorse Stables purchased the Thunder Gulch colt, with a member of LaPenta's buying team, David Foye, signing the sale ticket.
Pollard's Vision, ridden for the first time by Jerry Bailey, drove past a stubborn Britt's Jules with 70 yards to go and pulled away to win the $250,000 Leonard Richards (gr. III) for 3-year-olds on a sloppy Delaware Park track Sunday.
Robert V. Lapenta's Awesome Time, the second-longest shot in the field of eight at odds of 20-1, nipped Christine's Outlaw, by a nose to win the $250,000 Leonard Richards Stakes (gr. III) Saturday at Delaware Park.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Big-Race Drefong Named Champion Male Sprinter
- Finest City Dazzles in Santa Monica
- Versatile Finest City Named Champion Female Sprinter
- Page McKenney Does it Again at Laurel Park
- WinStar Farm Earns First Outstanding Breeder Eclipse
- First Foal Arrives for Gainesway's Karakontie
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Classic Empire On Track for Holy Bull