Hollywood Gaming at Mahoning Valley Race Course wrapped up its 2015 fall/early winter season with across-the-board gains in total handle, on-track handle, average field size, and daily purse distribution.
The Sept. 27 race card at Hazel Park Raceway near Detroit, Mich., features six stakes worth $50,000 each for horses eligible for the Michigan Sires Stakes program.
Successful Michigan owner/breeder Judith Worline died March 9 after a lengthy illness.
Ken and Sarah Ramsey were named National Owner of the Year and National Breeder of the Year Sept. 7 during the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association national awards dinner held at Keeneland in Lexington.
Trainer Robert Gorham saddled his 1,000th career winner June 15, sending out Banning to a 6 1/2-length win under Jeffrey Skerrett in the fourth race at Thistledown.
Six fillies, including Zayat Stables' grade I winner A Z Warrior, were entered for Hoosier Park's $200,000 Indiana Oaks (gr. II) Oct. 1.
After an executive order from Gov. Jennifer Granholm that 100% of the $1.4 million earmarked for Michigan's Thoroughbred programs for 2009 would be used instead to deal with the state's immense budget deficit, local horsemen feared their industry would die a quick death.
Rockem Sockem received the 2004 Michigan Thoroughbred of the year honor during the Michigan Horse Council's International Stallion Expo at the Michigan State University Agriculture Pavilion in East Lansing on March 14.
Most Popular Stories
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup
- NJ-Bred Chublicious Captures Mr. Prospector
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Mid-Year Look at the BC Classic
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Marialite Upsets Favorites at Hanshin