Robert Courtney Jr.'s Rahystrada, an 8-year-old Rahy gelding, holds off 9-5 favorite Boisterous by a neck July 14 in the $200,000 Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT). Rahystrada won the Arlington Handicap in 2010.
Phipps Stable's Boisterous, third in the Manhattan Handicap on the Belmont Stakes undercard, will carry high weight as he heads a field of 11 turf specialists in $200,000 Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT) July 14.
For the second consecutive year Greta Kuntzweiler was aboard the decisive winner of the $150,000 Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT), this time guiding odds-on favorite Rahystrada to a 3 3/4-length victory Sept. 10 at Kentucky Downs
Robert Courtney Jr., who worked as an integral part of the Crestfield Farm team for 31 years, will continue raising and selling Thoroughbreds at his 195-acre Stonebridge Farm near Lexington.
Robert Courtney Sr., who bought his first mare in 1941 and the property that became his Crestfield Farm near Lexington in 1956, will retire from the Thoroughbred industry following the Keeneland January sale.
- By Tom LaMarra
Thoroughbred breeders told Kentucky legislators Aug. 21 the state must step up and offer assistance if its signature industry is to stabilize and grow in years to come.
Fasig-Tipton's November select mixed sale suffered significant declines in gross revenue and average price Sunday night in Central Kentucky. But not all the news was bad. The median increased, indicating a more healthy middle market. And the buy-back rate, while high, rose hardly at all from 2000.
Most Popular Stories
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Belterra Stakes Dead Heat Follows Churchill
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal
- Exaggerator Gallops Lap Around Belmont Track
- Exaggerator Arrives at Belmont Park
- Songbird Works at Santa Anita, Target Unknown
- Si Sage Speeds to Whittingham Victory
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16