Robert Courtney Jr.'s Rahystrada, an 8-year-old Rahy gelding, holds off 9-5 favorite Boisterous by a neck July 14 in the $200,000 Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT). Rahystrada won the Arlington Handicap in 2010.
Phipps Stable's Boisterous, third in the Manhattan Handicap on the Belmont Stakes undercard, will carry high weight as he heads a field of 11 turf specialists in $200,000 Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT) July 14.
For the second consecutive year Greta Kuntzweiler was aboard the decisive winner of the $150,000 Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT), this time guiding odds-on favorite Rahystrada to a 3 3/4-length victory Sept. 10 at Kentucky Downs
Robert Courtney Jr., who worked as an integral part of the Crestfield Farm team for 31 years, will continue raising and selling Thoroughbreds at his 195-acre Stonebridge Farm near Lexington.
Robert Courtney Sr., who bought his first mare in 1941 and the property that became his Crestfield Farm near Lexington in 1956, will retire from the Thoroughbred industry following the Keeneland January sale.
- By Tom LaMarra
Thoroughbred breeders told Kentucky legislators Aug. 21 the state must step up and offer assistance if its signature industry is to stabilize and grow in years to come.
Fasig-Tipton's November select mixed sale suffered significant declines in gross revenue and average price Sunday night in Central Kentucky. But not all the news was bad. The median increased, indicating a more healthy middle market. And the buy-back rate, while high, rose hardly at all from 2000.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment