Robert Courtney Jr.'s Rahystrada, an 8-year-old Rahy gelding, holds off 9-5 favorite Boisterous by a neck July 14 in the $200,000 Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT). Rahystrada won the Arlington Handicap in 2010.
Phipps Stable's Boisterous, third in the Manhattan Handicap on the Belmont Stakes undercard, will carry high weight as he heads a field of 11 turf specialists in $200,000 Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT) July 14.
For the second consecutive year Greta Kuntzweiler was aboard the decisive winner of the $150,000 Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT), this time guiding odds-on favorite Rahystrada to a 3 3/4-length victory Sept. 10 at Kentucky Downs
Robert Courtney Jr., who worked as an integral part of the Crestfield Farm team for 31 years, will continue raising and selling Thoroughbreds at his 195-acre Stonebridge Farm near Lexington.
Robert Courtney Sr., who bought his first mare in 1941 and the property that became his Crestfield Farm near Lexington in 1956, will retire from the Thoroughbred industry following the Keeneland January sale.
Thoroughbred breeders told Kentucky legislators Aug. 21 the state must step up and offer assistance if its signature industry is to stabilize and grow in years to come.
Fasig-Tipton's November select mixed sale suffered significant declines in gross revenue and average price Sunday night in Central Kentucky. But not all the news was bad. The median increased, indicating a more healthy middle market. And the buy-back rate, while high, rose hardly at all from 2000.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Broad Offering Should Keep OBS April Growing
- WinStar Farm Acquires Interest in Upstart
- Red Cadeaux Nearing Record Earnings Plateau
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 20
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Mitchell Remembered as 'Brilliant Horseman'
- Late-Running Longshots Key to Derby Super
- 2015 Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Prep Race Results and Points