Gulfstream Park announced a record $10.75 million stakes program for its 2013-14 meet that consists of 61 stakes, highlighted by the $1 million Besilu Stables Florida Derby (gr. I) March 29.
On the heels of signing a contract with Churchill Downs Inc. that ended a protracted stalemate, the Jockeys' Guild is preparing to launch an initiative to get other tracks to enter into agreements with the organization.
As a result of the success of its Dec. 26 race card, Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino has received permission from regulators to change its schedule and have live racing Jan. 2
Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino's 10-cent Rainbow 6 returned $3,279.26 to 1,311 winning tickets April 23 as the track's total handle for the day exceeded $13 million.
Finallymadeit, a graded stakes winner and millionaire, was euthanized after fracturing his left front cannon bone during a workout Aug. 4 at Saratoga.
Sun Coast racing fans 5,459 strong turned out for opening day at Tampa Bay Downs on Saturday, making it the largest opening day crowd in the track's history, up 6 ½% over last year's opener. On-track wagering was a healthy $558,242, up 25%, out of a total all source handle of $3,759,918, a jump of approximately 19% over last season's opening day handle, according to track officials.
A. Kales Company's R Obsession closed late in the $100,000 Frances A. Genter Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Calder on Saturday to defeat the pacesetting longshot Our Exploit by 1 ¼ lengths.
Favored Lord Juban made his move on the last turn and notched a 1 1/4-length victory in the $75,000 Caltech Handicap on the grass at Gulfstream Park on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Apprentice Aparicio Rides First U.S. Winner