For the second straight year, a colt by Deep Impact out of U.S. Horse of the Year Azeri was the star of the Japan Racing Horse Association's foal sale.
The Japan Racing Horse Association enjoyed record sales July 8 at its opening session and yearling sale, which saw great demand for the offspring of leading sire Deep Impact.
Admire Jupiter, one of four horses entered by owner Riichi Kondo, held off defending champion Meisho Samson by a head to win the US$2.4 million Tenno Sho (Spring) before 81,760 at Kyoto Racecourse May 4.
Admire Moon, winner of group I races this year in Japan and Dubai, has been sold by owner Riichi Kondo to Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin for a reported $33 million.
A squadron of bold new buyers in the middle market lifted up the Japan Racing Horse Association select sale, keeping the foal portion nearly on pace with last year's scorching record results even though there were fewer players competing for the most expensive horses.
International traveler Admire Moon earned his first group I victory on Japanese soil Sunday when he defeated an outstanding field in the 48th Takarazuka Kinen by a half-length at Hanshin Race Course.
Japan had a strong hand going into the US$5million Dubai Duty Free (UAE-I) and it was their Admire Moon, ridden by Japanese icon Yutaka Take, who landed the spoils in scintillating fashion.
The Japan Racing Horse Association's select foal sale hit the wire Wednesday ahead of last year's pace, posting all-time highs for gross revenue of 8,340,500,000 yen ($72,526,087) and average price of 37,739,819 yen ($328,172).
Four-year-old filly Admire Groove made it back-to-back victories in the Queen Elizabeth II Commemorative Cup (Jpn-I), winning the $1.8 million event Sunday at Kyoto Racecourse in Japan.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta