Multiple stakes winner Taptowne, preparing for a likely start in the Oaklawn Handicap (gr. II) in a month's time, was assigned top weight of 117 pounds for the $200,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III) March 15 at Oaklawn Park.
After a fifth-place finish in the June 5 RTN True North Handicap (gr. III) at Belmont Park, Sage Valley looks to get back to winning ways in the $100,000 James Marvin Handicap (gr. III) July 19 at Saratoga.
Cyber Secret has not won on the dirt at Churchill Downs, but fresh off a 5 3/4-length victory in the April 13 Oaklawn Handicap, trainer Lynn Whiting is willing to put his unbeaten season on the line.
Richard Davis' Master Rick, far back in the one-turn Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) in his last start May 12, returns to two turns at Churchill Downs June 16 in the $100,000 Matt Winn Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds.
Following a bullet work May 7, trainer Larry Jones had Mark Valeski ready to go in the Peter Pan. After a stalking trip while wide into the lane he put away pacesetter Right to Vote for his first stakes victory May 12.
The Jerome drew a field of seven, four of them entering off failed Derby prep efforts. Trainer Bob Baffert, a two-time winner of this event, will send out of a pair including Sunland Derby third-place finisher Stirred Up.
Unbeaten Union Rags, forced to wait for room in traffic, slipped past pacesetter Right to Vote on the outside in mid-stretch and drew off to capture the $300,000 Champagne Stakes in dominating style at Belmont Park Oct. 8.
Most Popular Stories
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico