Jockey James Lopez earned his 1,000th career win when he guided Dance Hall Darlin to her maiden score in the ninth race at Turfway Park March 11.
Ricardo Santana Jr., the leading apprentice rider in Panama, has arrived in the United States and will have his first mount Sept. 15.
Jockey Shaun Bridgmohan could be sidelined for as long as six weeks after suffering a compression fracture in a vertebra, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal. He was injured when a 2-year-old he was working July 6 at Churchill Downs broke down after the wire.
In addition to being directly involved in an equine-related tragedy at Delaware Park May 26, jockey Gabriel Saez is experiencing prolonged back pain from the accident that has since kept him from participating in his livelihood.
Jockey Douglas Whyte hit his anticipated 1,000 win milestone at whirlwind pace at Sha Tin yesterday, racking up a superb four-time and etching his name even more deeply into the annals of Hong Kong racing history.
- By Dan Liebman
Pat Day, the all-time leading jockey in North America by earnings and fourth by wins, will undergo surgery on his right hip March 30 and may miss the May 7 Kentucky Derby (gr. I), a race he has ridden in the past 21 years.
Jockey Jorge Chavez rode his 4,000th winner Jan. 21 when he guided Louis Siracusano's A Rizzi Reuben victory at Gulfstream in the fourth race of the day.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement
- Gran Villano is 75th Scat Daddy Stakes Winner
- Six Stakes Fill NY Showcase Day
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- BH 100: Covered Up