There was an intensity in Peter Miller's eyes as he peppered the winner circle with as many high fives as he could, indicating the neck victory in the seventh race was a little more than just a run-of-the-mill allowance win.
Once a legitimate hopeful for the Triple Crown series, Richard Pell's Calculator will make his first start in more than a year Feb. 13 at Santa Anita Park.
Calculator's win in the Jan. 10 Sham Stakes (gr. III) adds to the legacy of the O'Farrell family's Ocala Stud. The Florida-bred son of In Summation races for longtime Ocala Stud client Richard Pell.
Calculator lacks the high profile of several of his foes in the Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Juvenile, but he is an improving colt who is far better than his maiden status would have one believe.
First-crop sire Denis of Cork (by Harlan's Holiday) records his first winner, Celtic Moon, who breaks his maiden July 7 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
For Richard Pell, the owner of Fly Down, a victory in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) would be a hometown home run.
Nick Zito found another major contender for next month's Belmont Stakes (gr. I), as Richard Pell's Fly Down demolished six 3-year-old rivals in the $200,000 Dwyer Stakes (gr. II) May 8 at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- A.P. Indian Has Green Light in Vanderbilt
- Haveyougoneaway Delivers in Honorable Miss
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- Legends: Lady's Secret, the Iron Lady
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga