For the second year in a row the 5-year-old son of In Summation has given his connections reason for hope after a long layoff.
There was an intensity in Peter Miller's eyes as he peppered the winner circle with as many high fives as he could, indicating the neck victory in the seventh race was a little more than just a run-of-the-mill allowance win.
Once a legitimate hopeful for the Triple Crown series, Richard Pell's Calculator will make his first start in more than a year Feb. 13 at Santa Anita Park.
Calculator's win in the Jan. 10 Sham Stakes (gr. III) adds to the legacy of the O'Farrell family's Ocala Stud. The Florida-bred son of In Summation races for longtime Ocala Stud client Richard Pell.
Calculator lacks the high profile of several of his foes in the Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Juvenile, but he is an improving colt who is far better than his maiden status would have one believe.
First-crop sire Denis of Cork (by Harlan's Holiday) records his first winner, Celtic Moon, who breaks his maiden July 7 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
For Richard Pell, the owner of Fly Down, a victory in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) would be a hometown home run.
Nick Zito found another major contender for next month's Belmont Stakes (gr. I), as Richard Pell's Fly Down demolished six 3-year-old rivals in the $200,000 Dwyer Stakes (gr. II) May 8 at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Sanford to Add Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Abel Tasman Brings Form to Coaching Club American Oaks
- Del Mar Addressing Safety, Field Size Concerns
- Solis to Evaluate Future Following Surgery
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Trainer Van Winkle Earns 1,000th Career Win
- Daddy's More Than Home
- NYRA XP App Available for First Time at Saratoga
- Remembering Ben's Cat