It was another sun-splashed morning at Santa Anita Oct. 24 as a large contingent of horsemen, fans, and media awaited the first day of the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Trainer Aidan O'Brien discussed the chances of his eight Breeders' Cup contenders, who were followed by a throng of media after their morning walks on the track.
As it often does, the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I) has produced the morning-line favorite for the the $3-million Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) as Aidan O'Brien's Irish raider Soldier of Fortune leads a packed field of 11 at Santa Anita Oct. 25.
Duke of Marmalade proved his mettle over 12 furlongs in the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Royal Ascot July 26, battling back in the final 200 yards to defeat the upstart Papal Bull and claim his fourth consecutive group I win for trainer Aidan O'Brien.
Dylan Thomas made history by becoming the first horse to capture consecutive renewals of the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes (Ire-I) at Leopardstown Sept. 8.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- The Curse of Haskin