Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. closed out its spring sale of 2-year-olds in training with gusto April 24, establishing sale records for gross, average, and median price for the second straight year.
Zaftig took full advantage of a nice set-up and overtook odds-on favorite Carolyn's Cat in the lane en route to a 5 1/4- length victory in the $208,400 Nassau County (gr. III) at Belmont Park May 3.
For trainer Kiaran McLaughlin, the timing of the $200,000 Nassau County Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Belmont Park is just right for Carolyn's Cat, who has won three of six career starts.
Sherine, the longest price on the board at 13-1 in a five-horse field, took them all on a merry chase in the $147,000 Comely Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct April 12. Ridden by Alan Garcia, the 3-year-old filly covered the one mile on dirt in 1:37.25.
Carolyn's Cat won the expected early speed duel from Dill Or No Dill and then never looked back, going wire-to-wire for a 3 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Cicada Stakes (gr. III) March 15 on the inner dirt course at Aqueduct.
Contessa's entries are True Intentions and Ready for Fortune, who will be coupled for owner Dennis Narlinger, and Dill Or No Dill, who won a six-furlong event at Aqueduct in her sophomore debut.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Arrives at Belmont
- Coolmore: Zenyatta's Dam Vertigineux Has Died
- Pan American Conference Draws a Crowd
- Sun and Warmer Temps Forecast for Belmont Day
- NYRA Chairman Bonomo Takes Leave of Absence
- Stewart 'Feeling Good' About Tale of Verve
- De Kock Says American Pharoah a 'Super Horse'
- American Pharoah Has Final Breeze for Belmont
- Sherman Reflects on Belmont Past and Present
- NBC Set for Belmont Stakes Coverage