Santa Anita Park announced Dec. 9 a list of five finalists for the 61st annual Santa Anita George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, with the winner to be announced in January.
Brandon Meier stepped into the winner's circle, his mouth bloodied and teeth fractured. His grin was ear-to-ear, reminiscent of a boxer who had just survived a 12-round unanimous decision.
Veteran jockey Richard Migliore has won the 2008 George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award in a vote of his peers nationwide, it was announced Feb. 23 at Santa Anita.
Robby Albarado, who was named the winner of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award on Thursday, reflected on the accomplishment Saturday morning at Fair Grounds. Albarado is currently the leading rider at the New Orleans track.
Robby Albarado, Gary Baze, Julie Krone, Randall Meier and Richard Migliore have been nominated for the 2004 George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, Santa Anita Park announced this week.
Randall Meier, Sportsman's Park's all-time leading rider, will be out of action for at least a couple of weeks following a spill in Thursday's fifth race according to his agent, Penny Fitch-Heyes.
John Murphy's Dream Run, fourth in last month's Florida Derby (gr. I), has been installed the 2-1 morning-line favorite after drawing post 5 for Saturday's Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Sportsman's Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- Kid Cruz Wins Tesio, Enters Preakness Picture
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- 'Bea' Changes Tactics, Captures Sugar Maple
- California Chrome Cruises at Los Alamitos
- Mr Speaker Takes Down Coolmore Lexington