Santa Anita Park announced Dec. 9 a list of five finalists for the 61st annual Santa Anita George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, with the winner to be announced in January.
Brandon Meier stepped into the winner's circle, his mouth bloodied and teeth fractured. His grin was ear-to-ear, reminiscent of a boxer who had just survived a 12-round unanimous decision.
Veteran jockey Richard Migliore has won the 2008 George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award in a vote of his peers nationwide, it was announced Feb. 23 at Santa Anita.
Robby Albarado, who was named the winner of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award on Thursday, reflected on the accomplishment Saturday morning at Fair Grounds. Albarado is currently the leading rider at the New Orleans track.
Robby Albarado, Gary Baze, Julie Krone, Randall Meier and Richard Migliore have been nominated for the 2004 George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, Santa Anita Park announced this week.
Randall Meier, Sportsman's Park's all-time leading rider, will be out of action for at least a couple of weeks following a spill in Thursday's fifth race according to his agent, Penny Fitch-Heyes.
John Murphy's Dream Run, fourth in last month's Florida Derby (gr. I), has been installed the 2-1 morning-line favorite after drawing post 5 for Saturday's Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Sportsman's Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored Amis Gizmo Captures Prince of Wales
- Gun Runner Arrives at Monmouth for Haskell
- Dalakhani Pensioned from Stud Duty
- Bradley Reflects on Big Day at Saratoga
- Old Friends Reports Death of Futural
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate