Sailors Sunset set a track record on the Hollywood Park Cushion Track in December and trainer Marcelo Polanco likes the way his 4-year-old gelding is coming up to the $100,000-added Los Angeles Handicap (gr. III) at six furlongs on Saturday.
Midnight Lute, who scored his first career stakes victory last October in Keeneland's Perryville (gr. III), returns to the Lexington track for the $400,000 Commonwealth Breeders' Cup (gr. II) on Saturday.
A pair of grade I winning sprint standouts dueled throughout Saturday's seven-furlong San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) before the Bobby Frankel-trained 4-year-old Latent Heat prevailed in the final strides by a neck over an equally determined Proud Tower Too at Santa Anita.
Grade I winner Siren Lure goes after his seventh stakes victory since being claimed by his current owners for $50,000 in 2005 in Saturday's $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Racing seems to have its share of ills these days, which is why the first injection of Derby Fever is being given out earlier and earlier each year. Even taken in small doses in November, it can start the blood pumping, and what better way to brace for the long winter than by getting a brief whiff of roses or hearing even the faintest strains of "My Old Kentucky Home?"
Most Popular Stories
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014