Yet another bill authorizing gaming at racetracks has been introduced in the Kentucky General Assembly. With less than a month to go in the session, no action has been taken on any gaming-related legislation.
Maryland horse racing needs improved marketing, quality facilities, and better racing, according to a report released Dec. 1 by the Maryland Horse Industry Board.
The first shipment of slot machines arrived at Calder Casino & Race Course in Florida Nov. 9 in anticipation of a January 2010 opening of the track's gaming floor.
A Kentucky Thoroughbred breeder said Republican lawmakers plan to push for a constitutional amendment on racetrack gaming, but a spokesperson for the state's Senate leader said that's not the case.
Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland signed a directive July 13 instructing the director of the Ohio Lottery to immediately begin taking steps to implement video lottery terminals at the seven racetracks in Ohio. But questions remain as to how the racing and breeding industry will benefit.
Jack Sours has been named president and general manager of Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, MTR Gaming president and chief executive officer Bob Griffin announced Jan. 13.
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino has increased overnight purses by more than 5% to bring the nightly average to more than $190,000 effective June 21.
Atlantic City casinos have agreed to boost financial help for New Jersey's racetracks, but officials said long-term funding issues remain.
- By James Platz
Hoosier Park owner Centaur received approval Feb. 25 to purchase the 110 acres of land on which the Anderson, Ind., racetrack sits.
- By James Platz
Legislation to authorize slot machines at Hoosier Park and Indiana Downs continues to be reshaped in the Indiana legislature. The full Senate could determine its fate March 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off