Nipissing and Spring in the Air, two fillies that failed to make much impact facing males in the Queen's Plate one month ago, are back with their own sex in the $250,000 Wonder Where Stakes Aug. 4 at Woodbine.
Chiefswood Stable's filly Nipissing, an impressive winner of the Woodbine Oaks presented by Budweiser, put in a final breeze June 30 in advance of the upcoming Queen's Plate, covering a half-mile in :48 flat.
The script for the $490,400 Woodbine Oaks Presented by Budweiser had a happy ending for Chiefswood Stable and its homebred filly Nipissing after she denied favored Spring in the Air with a late surge June 9 at Woodbine.
Perfect in four starts over the Woodbine Polytrack last year, Nipissing faces seven other 3-year-old fillies in the $150,000 Selene Stakes (Can-III) May 19, a first step toward next month's Woodbine Oaks.
Favored Nipissing remained unbeaten in three starts when she ran down outsider Strut the Course in the last few strides to capture the $251,525 Princess Elizabeth Stakes by half a length at Woodbine Oct. 28.
Most Popular Stories
- Key Owners, Trainers to Publicize Vet Records
- Quality Road's First Starter Scores Easy Win
- Wicked Strong Puts in Solid Breeze at Belmont
- Interest High for Oklahoma City Summer Sale
- European Record At Tattersalls Craven Sale
- Rampart Winner Gamay Noir Heads Sixty Sails
- Australia's Rules Banning AI Upheld by Court
- Finding a Home, Filling a Need
- The Dude Returns to Charles Town
- Trommer Scores One for the Home Team