An armored truck guard died after he was shot and robbed while making a stop at Calder Casino and Race Course in Florida.
The rush to improve safety since Eight Belles was euthanized at last year's Kentucky Derby Presented By Yum! Brands (gr. I) did little to curb the number of horses dying at American racetracks in 2008, The Associated Press found in a national count.
After seven horses died in a 19-day period this spring at Emerald Downs, the racetrack opted to create a task force to evaluate the deaths, and to see if similar injuries could be prevented in the future. Detailed soil and track assessments, as well as input from industry members and groups, indicated the track itself is in good shape, and the injuries were unrelated.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Arizona's Global Symposium Registration Open
- 95% Clearance Rate on Day 2 at Tattersalls
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Xpressbet to Sponsor West Virginia Derby