Millionaire grade I winner Kiri's Clown, a resident of Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Facility, was euthanized Dec. 22 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington due to complications following colic surgery.
Sabrina Moore's My Fantastic Lady was crowned the overall champion at the third Totally Thoroughbred Horse Show, presented in the infield at Pimlico Race Course July 13.
Owners will be required to report the retirement of racing Thoroughbreds within 30 days under a new rule adopted by the Australian Racing Board.
More than 20 accredited racehorse retirement facilities will share in $1 million in grants, the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance announced Dec. 11 in Tucson, Ariz.
Three organizations in New York are teaming up to develop second career opportunities for retired Thoroughbred racehorses by way of a program called TAKE2.
The R.A.C.E. Fund, non-profit organization established in 2004, will launch its spring fund drive with an online auction on eBay starting March 24 to help raise funds for racehorse retirement and rescue from slaughter.
CANTER, a major placement program for retired Thoroughbred racehorses, said it supports in concept federal legislation calling for a ban on performance-enhancing drugs in racing but believes the language may be too broad.
The R.A.C.E. Fund, a racehorse retirement organization, announced that substantial funding by the Penn National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association has largely contributed to the continued success of the program.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment