Citing an overall decline in wagering, Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots has canceled four stakes and cut purses for a dozen others, including the Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II), which went from $500,000 to $400,000.
Lower than expected wagering has prompted Ellis Park to reduce overnight purses by 15% for the remainder of the race meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Minding Leads Sweep in One Thousand Guineas
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid