Robert LaPenta's Easter Gift took the $250,000 Mountainview Handicap on dirt while Mr. Amore Stable's Tightend Touchdown scorched the grass in his victory in the $150,000 Pennsylvania Governor's Cup Handicap June 1.
Heavy choice Tight Precision, closing fast on the outside, surged past Bootleg Annie and Pretty Unusual close to home to post her first stakes victory in the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Turf at Santa Anita.
If any 2-year-old has a license to do well in the $150,000 Sapling Stakes (gr. III) Sept. 5 at Monmouth Park, it's Daniel Ljoka's homebred Awesome Son.
A Pure Precision -- B. J. Telicus filly and a Dixie Union -- Duet gelding named General Staff were the fastest workers at a quarter mile April 18 during the fourth and final session of the under tack show for the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. spring sale of 2-year-olds in training in Central Florida. They each covered the distance in :20 3/5.
Karen Keen's 2-year-old Silk Ridge will seek a sweep of the Florida Stallion Series in her division when she heads to the post in the $400,000 My Dear Girl Stakes at Calder Race Course Oct. 13, the track's Calder Derby day.
Graded stakes winners Freespool and Pure Precision sired their first winners July 6.
Pure Precision and Skip to the Stone, both graded stakes winners, and stakes-placed Gulf Storm, will enter stud at Louis Gurino's Lou-Roe Farm near Morriston, Fla.
George Steinbrenner's Pure Precision beat favored Truman's Raider by 1 1/4 lengths in the $150,000 Sapling Stakes (gr. III) at Monmouth Park on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Fair Grounds, Horsemen Rise to Challenge
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes