With two dozen 3-year-olds overflowing the entry box, the $250,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) was split into two divisions to be contested on the turf Sept. 1.
Jockey Garrett Gomez boldly announced his return to action with a come-from-behind victory aboard 8-1 shot Dice Flavor in a dramatic finish to the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) on the grass Aug. 10 at Del Mar.
Greeley Awesome, who came within a neck of giving owner Hronis Racing and trainer John Sadler a sweep of the two Oceanside Stakes divisions on opening day at Del Mar, makes his return in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap Aug.10.
Split divisions of the Oceanside Stakes and a 10-race card with 98 entries await racing fans July 17 as Del Mar kicks off its 74th summer season in northern San Diego County.
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind 7-2 Choice for Oaks
- Wise Dan Back to Jogging on Track
- California Chrome Will Skip Lockinge Stakes
- El Kabeir Walks Shedrow, Dortmund Gallops
- Delaware Horse Racing Boosts State Economy
- Haskin: Carpe Diem, Mubtaahij Test the Track
- Oxley Hopes Danzig Moon Follows Monarchos
- Able Friend One to Beat in Champions Mile
- Kentucky Derby News Update: April 28, 2015
- American Pharoah Forges Way to Zayat's Heart